June 13, 2012

String of Pearls (Senecio rowleyanus) Plant Care

I just got one of these wonderful plants and it's doing great! As you know I love succulents so when I saw this one I had to have it (and it was perfect because I had a little store credit I wanted to use up!)

It's easy to care for and a really unique look. I love the idea of hanging baskets but I hadn't been able to sell the idea on Marshall because he didn't like most of the plants and how they looked but I'm pretty sure he's sold on this one! Once it's a little bigger and it's reaching the ground I'll upgrading it to a hanging basket in the studio.

I hope this plant grows as fast as I'm told it should and propagates as well as it says it should because I'm looking forward to growing many a gift off this one plant (like I did with my Wondering Jew plant)


Origin: Southwest Africa

Height: Trails 2-3 ft (60-90 cm)

Light: Bright light with some direct sun

Water: Water thoroughly, then allow to dry out slightly between waterings. This plant will not tolerate soggy soil. Cut back on water in winter, watering just enough to prevent the soil from drying out.

Humidity: Average to dry room humidity.

Temperature: Warm spring through fall (70-80°F/21-27°C). In winter, cool (55-60°F/13-16°C).

Soil: Cactus potting mix. If you want to mix your own, use 3 parts good quality potting soil and 1 part sharp sand.

Fertilizer: Feed once a month spring through fall with a balanced liquid fertilizer diluted by half.

Propagation: Take 4 in (10 cm) stem tip cuttings in spring or summer and insert them in moist potting medium. Press them into the potting mix until the leaves are almost covered. Keep the medium lightly moist. They will root quickly from the axils where the leaves are attached to the stem.

Watering tips: Keep your String of Pearls plant lightly moist during the growing season (spring through fall). Beads that look flat are a sign that the plant is too dry. Give it a good drink, but take care not to over-water.

Make it bloom. Give your String of Pearls plant a cool (55-60°F/13-16°C) rest in winter. Cut back on watering during the winter months, but don't allow the potting mix to dry out completely.

Source

1 comment:

  1. What a great little plant + I would love to have a plants but I don't have the greenest thumb, in fact I just gave up because ... plants come to me to die a peaceful death...one day I'll learn

    Wye

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! I read each comment and really appreciate them all! Have a creative day!