November 26, 2009

Baking Blitz: Marshmallow Fondant


When I was prepping for my wedding I wanted to make cupcakes for my social with fondent icing! I looked it up a few times and only found really complicated recipes. I was starting to lose hope (and I wasn’t going to cave and use the readymade stuff! ick!) but then I found this recipe! Its super easy, take some strength, and literally getting your hands dirty but it’s so worth it in the end! The fondant was a huge hit, and my cupcakes with pink heart cut outs were some of the best I’ve made yet!

16 ounces white mini-marshmallows (use a good quality brand)
2 to 5 tbsp Water
2 pounds Icing Sugar 1/2 cup Crisco Shortening

Melt marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave or double boiler: Put the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds, open microwave and stir, back in microwave for 30 seconds more, open microwave and stir again, and continue doing this until melted. It usually takes about 2 1/2 minutes total. Place 3/4 of the powdered sugar on the top of the melted marshmallow mix; mix in gently.

Now grease your hands GENEROUSLY (palms, backs, and in between fingers), then heavily grease the counter you will be using and dump the bowl of marshmallow/sugar mixture in the middle.



Start kneading like you would bread dough. Keep kneading (it is really sticky at this stage!) Add the rest of the powdered sugar and knead some more. Re-grease your hands and counter when the fondant starts sticking. If the mix is tearing easily, it is too dry, so add water (about 1/2 tablespoon at a time and then knead it in).
Add food coloring if you would like it a different color other than white.
When the fondant is all mixed well roll out to do cut outs for cupcakes or for covering a whole cake.


Tip: This fondant does great in the fridge. If you find it’s a little hard or dry add a little water until it’s the desired workability. (I still have some left!)
Have any good ideas, or substitutes for this....share them, leave a comment, I’d love to hear from you!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is such an awesome post! Those cupcakes were so beautiful and it's so fun to see your pretty face in a post!

    Your blog is really taking off I'm so proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! I read each comment and really appreciate them all! Have a creative day!