February 8, 2010

An Attempt at Lamb Chops with a Wine White Glaze


The other day I was grocery shopping and I bought lamb. I didn’t really have a plan other than seeing it and being “oh, yum, lamb!” When I unpacked everything at home I realized I didn’t really know how to cook it.

A day or so later I decided it was time and that I needed to cook it up for lunch. I looked through my cooking book and found a recipe that I thought I could likely do, but then I realized I didn’t have most of the ingredients and that I didn’t know what a couple of them even were!

I racked my brain for a little while and tried to still make it work (it was -35 and I really didn’t want to go out to get different ingredients). I was worried but it turned out amazingly and it was one of the best lamb I have ever had!

I’ve been told that cooking lamb is tricky but it was so easy, tasted so so good and the sauce was wonderfully flavourful.

So I thought for those of you that have always wanted to try this but were maybe intimidated, I would post the actual recipe, and then the way I did it, with my make-shift substitutions.

Original Recipe
¼ cup dry White Wine
2 tbsp. Cold Butter
4 tbsp. Meat Glaze
2 tsp. Marjoram or Oregano
Salt
Pepper
2 tbsp. Olive Oil
Lamb Chops

My Alternative
¼ cup White Wine from Santorini (It was the only dry white I had)
2 tbsp. Cold Butter
4 tbsp. Beef Broth (Just the powder stuff, in 4 tbsp boiling water)
2 tsp. Summer Savoury (I was all out of Oregano)
Salt
Pepper
2 tbsp. Olive Oil
6 small Lamb Chops
Salt and pepper both sides of lamb chops. Heat sauce pan; add olive oil. When oil starts to smock put in the chops. If the chops are thicker cook for up to 5 minutes (on each side). If they are thinner cook for up to 2 minutes (on each side).



When they are done put aside on a covered plate to keep warm. Whip out the pan to take out any burnt fat. Add the wine and boil for 30 seconds or until it reduces 3/4. Add the beef broth (or meat glaze) and let simmer and reduce to half.


Wisk in the butter, summer savoury (or marjoram or oregano), salt and pepper. Let simmer for 3-5 minutes.

Dish out the chops, spread a couple of spoonfuls of the glaze on the lamb and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I read each comment and really appreciate them all! Have a creative day!