March 9, 2010

Making Change, Making a Difference: Paying it Forward

The other day I was in Home Sense and I had $2.50 on a gift card after my purchase. I didn’t want another card in my wallet, and I wanted to make someone’s day so I held it out to the lady behind me and offered it to her. She hesitated at first but I insisted. She took it and thanked me about 5 times, and it seemed to get everyone’s attention (especially because she was still thanking me when I was literally walking out the doors). I wasn’t looking for the attention, believe me, but I just thought it was great that I could do something for someone I didn’t even know.

I know this movement has been around for a long time, but the principal has been around since the beginning of time.

There used to be a time when it wasn’t a question if something was going to stop to help if you had a flat tire, or if you would hold the door for the person behind you. Wouldn’t it be nice to get back to that?

It starts with one person, one act of kindness at a time. Forget about your selfish nature for a while and think of something you can do. Be conscious about it. Make Change.

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately it seems with each new generation more and more of humanities common courtesies are lost. Haven't figured out if it's because we've gotten more and more self-centered, less and less thoughtful of others and just plain lazy ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely! How awesome would the world be if every person did just one small nice thing a day? It doesn't take much effort or money and makes a huge impact on someone's day or week and allows them to go forward and impact someone else's day or week and so on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! I read each comment and really appreciate them all! Have a creative day!