December 1, 2010

Making Our Own Gingerbread House

So we decided this year we were going to try to make our own ginger bread house. We make one every year but we usually just get a kit and do it from there. I figured I'm a pretty crafty person, and I like baking so why not? So far I've made the dough, and cut everything out and it's in the oven. I'll give you some photos and play by play of the finished product but I thought I'd share the recipes and video I followed so you can get started too!



They make it look pretty easy and fun right? Not quite so easy, but still a lot of fun!


Gingerbread Recipe

1/2 cup butter, margarine or shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water


In a large mixing bowl beat butter until softened. Add sugar and beat until fluffy - at least three minutes. Add molasses and beat well. Combine dry ingredients and add to the batter a little at a time, mixing in each addition. You will have to use your hands to work in the last additions (Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes)

Note: This is enough for a small gingerbread house. Double the recipe if you want something bigger or you want the walls thicker



Royal Icing For Decorating Gingerbread House

1 lb. powdered sugar
1 tsp. cream of tartar
3 egg whites

Beat all ingredients until very stiff. Use as glue for assembling house. Icing will harden as it sits, so add a few drops of water as needed. Use assorted candies to decorate house

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I read each comment and really appreciate them all! Have a creative day!