April 2, 2011

How to Propagate a Spider Plant


My mom brought me home a little "baby" spider plant the other day and I didn't know how to propagate it so I looked it up and here's what I found. So far so good!

First you will need to have an adult plant (or mother) with "babies" attached to trailing stems.

You can propagate (or replicate) the plant in one of two ways:
1) either by cutting the plant off and placing it into water
2) or, as is done in their natural South African habitat, you can place containers with dirt to "catch" the baby.

If you select the second method, you will want to hold the tiny plant in place with a hairpin or bent paper clip until it is well rooted.

If you select the first, more common method, you will place the plant in water and wait until it has a healthy root system and then place it into a pot with potting soil. Be sure to place gravel or broken clay pots in the bottom to allow for drainage.

3 comments:

  1. beautiful! Its a good thing I read this post because it reminded me to go check on my two plants and I realized I've been a bad plant mama. They both look very very thirsty. oops! Off to water them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never thought about growing a baby while it's still attached to the "mother" plant. This has me quite intrigued, though I'm ashamed to say my little spider-babies didn't make it through the ridiculous winter...

    Thanks for the tips!!!

    - Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  3. ya, i know, i didn't think this is how you would do it either! so I thought it was pretty interesting. I find the more sun i'm giving them the happier they are.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! I read each comment and really appreciate them all! Have a creative day!