October 3, 2011

Growing Hycinths Inside


I'm really curious to try this. I think I will let my bulbs multiply outside first a bit and then take one inside one fall and do this. It seems like it would be pretty easy!  And I love how they calling it forcing the bulb. I'm not sure why but I think it's neat!

Forcing is easy if you use a special bulb glass that supports the bulb as it roots in water.
You can also care for hyacinth plants indoors in containers. A hyacinth plant will also do well in containers so long as you can plant them deep enough.



Here are the steps to follow to force hyacinths:

  1. Cool the bulbs for 8 to 10 weeks in the refrigerator if you don’t buy pre-chilled bulbs.
  2. Set the bulbs one to a bulb glass with the pointed side up so the water just touches the bottom of the bulb. Keep each bulb in a cool, dark place until you see a mass of roots floating in the water and a 3- to 4-inch shoot with the flower bud coming out of the center.
  3. When the shoot appears, move the bulb to a sunny location and watch the water level being sure it is maintained.


    In a few weeks you will have a beautiful flower to enjoy. Because the hyacinth plant bulb uses up all its energy during the forcing process, you can simply discard the bulb after the blooms fade.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Thanks for the feedback! I read each comment and really appreciate them all! Have a creative day!