June 23, 2010

Picking Blue Bells

So I ransacked a local park a while ago and stock some of their blue bells. I figured they wouldn’t miss them seeing as the park grass was being over taken with them anyways.

I took them home and planted them in a little pot until we got in our house. Thinking that we would be able to just plant them in the backyard somewhere. A couple of weeks later they were all dead, or at least I thought they were (it really just goes to show how little I really knew about flowers from bulbs).

So again with the wanting to know everything about my plants I did some research and i’m sharing it with you:

“Brightening hillsides and fields in spring and summer, Virginia bluebells are one of the most iconic American wildflowers. Gardeners love them because they are virtually maintenance free and attract butterflies from miles around. For added variety, some gardeners choose the Aspen or Alpine bluebell, which can reach 3 feet in height.”

Step 1
Water your bluebells sparingly. Allow the top inch or so of the soil to dry out before watering bluebells when they are in bloom. Once blooms die by the end of summer, these flowers do not require any supplemental water.

Step 2
Spread a 2- to 3-inch layer of mulch around the base of your bluebells. As woodland plants they like cool roots.

Step 3
Fertilize your bluebells in early spring if the soil has low fertility or if you are growing them outside of their recommended growing zone. Use a balanced fertilizer at a rate of 1 pound of fertilizer per 100 square feet.

Sounds pretty easy right? I'll show you my results after I do my planting (in July!)

2 comments:

  1. Mandi you are awesome. I would never thing to take flowers from the park to plant. They will look beautiful in your backyard too. I can't wait to see pictures of them and I can't believe that bulbs are really that easy to take care of.
    Do you know if they can be planted in big pots? I ask because most likely our new place will not have a yard but a big terrace and I want to have a garden in pots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ya, you can totally plant them in pots, that’s how I had mine. The only thing is they go dormant during the winter so they sort of need that snow cover or cold. I’ll be doing another post, but on tulips so it will give you a lot information on bulbs. I’m still learning myself but it seems pretty simple to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! I read each comment and really appreciate them all! Have a creative day!