November 6, 2009

Baking Blitz: Cooking Option: How To Cook A Turkey


This year we (Marshall and I) are having my mom to our place for Christmas dinner. That means I’m doing most of the cooking! The first time I make a turkey it was super intimidating BUT I did do a pretty good job! Here are some easy steps to make cooking a turkey super fun and stress free.

Step 1: If using a frozen turkey, thaw in its original plastic wrapper in the fridge. Allow for 5 hours per pound.

Quicker method: Cover the turkey with cold water (the sink is a good place for this), changing every 30 minutes; allow 1 hour per pound (500 g).

Step 2: Prepare the turkey by removing giblets and neck. Rinse and wipe the cavity; sprinkle with salt and pepper or stuff (with stuffing of course!) lightly using skewers to fasten skin over the cavity or my suggestion; do both!

Step 3: Place turkey, breast side up, on rack in roasting pan. Brush with melted butter or oil (I also pour some chicken broth in the bottom of the pan for gravy later). Tent loosely with foil. Roast in 325F (160C) oven for about 20 minutes per pound (500 g) or until juices run clear when turkey is pierced and when thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180F (82C) for a stuffed turkey or 170F (77C) for an unstuffed turkey. Remove tent for last hour of roasting. (at this point I usually take some of the juices and run them then over the top to give it more of a nice crisp skin)

Step 4: When turkey is done, transfer to warm platter. Tent with foil and let stand for 20 to 30 minutes. This allows time for juices at the surface of the bird to distribute evenly throughout the meat.

Step 5: Carve turkey. Eat and enjoy!

Have any good ideas, or substitutes for this....share them, leave a comment, I’d love to hear from you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I read each comment and really appreciate them all! Have a creative day!