December 15, 2009

Missing Keys, Missed Buses, -30, Bad Mornings: What To Wear To Make You Warmer

I woke up and as usual had slept in a little. As I lay in bed dreading getting up (especially because the heat in our suite still isn’t working so well so it’s not anywhere near warm in the place) I realized I forgot to get a bus pass for the week. I quickly get up, get ready, but I’m thinking I’m still going to miss the bus. I hurry down to the Shoppers to get my pass. Thankfully no one was in line so I was starting to get a little hopeful. The cashier was nice enough but then range up the wrong pass. We had to start all over and I was starting to get nervous. She finished, I thanked her and booked it out the door and saw the bus stop, with my bus at it. Thankfully it was at a red light so I ran. I didn’t get near close enough before the bus started up again so I didn’t even have a chance.

I started walking home and called my husband to let him know he was going to have to take me to work (thankfully he was starting later so this was an option). Then I saw this man who takes the 90 before my 18 walking toward our stop (you start to get to know the regulars at your stop, and what they take, and when your bus will be there according to who is still waiting for their bus, or at least I do..) so I pulled my phone back out (to check the time) and sure enough it was the earlier bus that I had missed, not the one I needed!

I wait for a few minutes for the bus, got on and I was on my way feeling really good that with all that effort I didn’t actually miss it. I was just starting to warm up when my husband calls to tell me he can’t find his keys. This wouldn’t be a big deal if it wasn’t the set that has the house keys on them but it was. I get off the bus and start walking home; he was going to come and get me so we can lock up the place with my keys but of course he find the keys (in the closet with the dress shoes? Sure!) just a couple minutes after I get off the bus. I knew it was going to happen but better safe than sorry. I keep walking, thinking he should see me soon, and I’m not just going to stand there in the cold, waiting, and getting colder. He knew what I was wearing and where I was walking. Fifteen minutes later I’m home, frozen and can’t find the car or my man. He has missed me somehow and I hadn’t felt my phone vibrating with him trying to call cause my legs were frozen and numb!

I get in the car, trying not to cry (stupid PMS) and he brings me to work. We’re both frustrated, trying to get out of our bad moods, so we hold hands, which is always a good idea, and it helps. I get to work and after all of that I was only five minutes late, so that was nice!

Anyways, the point of my story (other than trying to maybe make at least one person feel better by being able to relate to a morning like this) is to help you know what to wear! I’ve done a lot of shopping, and have tested out a lot of different jackets, boots, scarves and toques for the weather and I think I figured out pretty well how to take the bus (and wait for buses) and stay warm at the same time (note: of all days I should have started wearing my ski pants today was the day!). I didn’t say it would be super fashionable, but here are some of my picks!


This last weekend I bought myself a London Fog jacket and I love it!! I haven’t been able to find a picture online of it, but it’s purple, and wonderful, and best of all it’s warm!! www.londonfog.com

I love this hat/scarf! It’s way more fashionable then a lot of other options and it’s a 2 in 1! You can find this item at www.etsy.com/shop/pixiebell

As you can see these hats consume you’re head but that also means it will be really really warm! I have one, and I look like I’m being eaten by a rabbit, but that’s ok cause there’s nothing but warmth under there!
I got mine at Mark's Work World and I love it! www2.marks.com




This is a more fun and fashionable option, not to mention really cute! You can find this at www.etsy.com/shop/seahorsedesigns
There’s the ugly but ultra warm option (which I have) or....
The much more fashionable and cute ones (which are also more expensive, and I’m told not quite as warm) www.sorel.com

1 comment:

  1. wow, it must be so hard to live in such a cold place! you always have to wear a heavy coat, it is difficult to be creative...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! I read each comment and really appreciate them all! Have a creative day!