January 19, 2010

Taco Soup

At one of our family gatherings this year we didn’t do the usual turkey, stuffing, potatoes thing but rather soups!! At first I was a little sceptical of the idea; I mean it’s Christmas, Soup? Really? But it was great!! I think there were 10 different types and my favourite was the taco soup. I’m still working on my Aunt-in-law (is that how you say it?) to get her exact recipe but in the mean time here are a couple to temp you!


Hamburger Taco Soup:



1 to 1 1/2 lbs Hamburger
1 Onion (Small)
2 tins Diced Tomatoes
2 tins Water (from the tomato can)
2 tins Corn
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
1 1/2 packages Taco Seasoning
2 Tbsp Chili Powder
2 TBSP Sugar
3/4 Tsp Cumin (optional).
Brown the hamburger and onion (chopped). Set aside.

In a soup pot, add the rest of the ingredients; mix together. Add the hamburger and onion.

Simmer in pot and if needed, add more water OR a can of tomato soup AND water.

Serve with sour cream, and top it off with tortilla chips and grated cheese.......yyyuuuumm!!



Chicken Taco Soup:


This one seems to be the closest I can find to what was served at the gathering.


3 large chicken breasts
1 can chicken broth
1 package taco seasoning
1/2 block Velveeta (cubed)
1 can Salsa
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup (or cream of chicken)
4 cups of Water
1 bag chips of your choice (Doritos, or any tortilla)

Boil or simmer chicken, taco seasoning, and broth in water, until chicken is tender. Remove chicken for broth and set aside (to cool).

Add remaining ingredients to broth, and simmer. Take chicken out of broth and cut into cubes. Add back chicken and simmer on low for around 10 minutes.


Serve hot over chips of your choice with cheese on top. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Though I'm vegetarian, I do looove those Chik cows!!!

    I just wanted to let you know that (congratulations!), you've been nominated for a Shrimp Salad Circus Tops in '09 Award!!!

    Vote here http://shrimpsaladcircus.blogspot.com/2010/01/vote-now-tops-in-09-awards.html, and send your readers off to vote for you as well!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! I read each comment and really appreciate them all! Have a creative day!