September 1, 2010

Good for Your Marriage: Games

"My Quaker grandparents, who were married for seventy-two years, said that each married couple should have an outdoor game, like tennis or golf, and an indoor game, like Scrabble or gin, that they play together"- The Happiness Project

I think this is great! Most men state that one of their top ways they feel connection to their spouse is through recreational activities and that for sure includes games.

Marshall loves Scrabble. I’m a horrible speller and I find Scrabble incredibly frustration and no fun at all. I know Marshall wants me to play it with him but I find the game painful. After finding out that games are a way he feels connected to me I’ve started playing with him at family gatherings (when we play on teams!) and he loves it. We also bought a game together and we play together often when we have triple dates. It’s a great way to build memories, laughter, and team work. It lightens things up and puts you in a different mindset for a while, which I know we all need.

As for outdoor games we don’t have much yet but we go for walks (now we have even more reason because our Ollie), bike rides and drives together. Again it’s nice to have something else to focus on and something that doesn’t require a lot of thought or brain function. It’s nice to just do something together which I know for Marshall is really refreshing because I’m a talker.
So I suggest finding some games you love, indoor and outdoor and go one step future; find other recreational activities you will start doing together. Trust me, it works and will make you much more relaxed.

What do you think? What are you already playing together that’s working wonders for you?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE playing games and we play them together on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! I read each comment and really appreciate them all! Have a creative day!